90's Comeback
I am doing a sewing challenge for 2024 which keeps me motivated and gets the creative mind going. For Week Six, the category provided was "Snooze". Instantly comes to mind are pyjama pants and a great chance to use up my small mountain of flannelette fabric that has built up in the garage.
Frankie (my eldest) and I found the greatest flannelette fabric a little while ago that reminded me so much of my cousin and I "back in the day".
The 90's were my childhood. Scrunchies. Inflatable furniture. Porcelain dolphin figurines. Weird hair ties with beads on them that never actually worked easily into a hair style. Flip phones. Lip smackers. Video shops (a surprisingly difficult concept to explain to Frankie). But this hot pink flannelette contained a majority of my memories of the 90's. So naturally, it made its way into my home (plus an education session for Frankie on the way home to what all these items were).
.
Next step: Finding the right pattern.
Very easy decision for me - The Scout Pants by Twig + Tale. One of my absolute favourite go-to patterns for the kids for versatility, ease of sewing and the kids love wearing them!
I would need to print a size 10 for Frankie (since she is growing way to fast for my liking) but I had a size 5 printed for Kailey so Kailey was the lucky one to get the first set of 90's comeback pyjamas. Plus they are pink so it's an instant hit for Kailey.
.
My favourite tool for cutting out fabric is usually my rotary cutter but I favoured my scissors this time keeping in my theme for 2024 of slowing down and appreciating the slow sewing process. I opted for above knee length and chose black overlocking thread to match the flip phones on the fabric pattern.
.
Once cut out, these cute shorts were a relatively quick sew, put together easily with the excellent instructions provided by Twig + Tale.
.
Kailey got home from preschool and was so thrilled by her surprise pyjama pants. After seeing her big smile, eyes lit up and hugging her new pants, the 90's comeback had proven to be a hit! I then saw her eyes cast over to my sewing table to another fabric with princesses and dragons on it. Then the sudden request was made. "Mama, can I have princess dragon placemat pleeeeeeease??"
.
Back to the sewing machine I go!
Comments
Post a Comment