The Journey of Miss K - Part 1
So I need to start writing down the journey of Miss K and getting a diagnosis.
Miss K, my gorgeous glitterball, described as the extrovert, the mermaid, the outspoken, the confident, the overly affectionate bundle of love. Miss K has (for as long as I can remember in her 5 short years on the planet) has had a problem with emotion regulation. Yes, she is 5. Yes, she is a small person with big emotions. But you know that niggly mama intuition that something just doesn't seem right? Well, that has been present for a while.
I have never wanted to change Miss K, to me, she is her ultimate self. Gorgeous, loving and caring. But when her primary school teacher approached me before Easter and said K wasn't keeping up, that niggling Mama feeling really kicked up a notch.
Miss K had sleep apnoea, snoring problems and was constantly snuffly while she was 3 and 4 years old. This leads to an ENT review that reported K had "kissing tonsils" - aka, VERY enlarged tonsils which was contributing to her sleep disturbances. In my head, if K is not sleeping, then of course her behaviour is not going to be great during the day so let's get that fixed and the ENT agreed her behaviour would improve if her tonsils and adenoids were removed. Because her tonsils and adenoids were so large too, none of the fluid in her sinus cavities and behind her ears were moving too which was leading to hearing problems. So bilateral grommet insertion was recommended at the same time. Consent signed.
Fast forward to October 2024 - Miss K has a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy and bilateral grommet insertion which she handled like an absolute champion.
Me on the other hand, was a nervous anxious wreck. Here I was trying to be tough and strong and Miss K was the one holding ME up, joking around with oxygen masks and being her sissy silly self. She was simply amazing.
Even though the operation was a success and K's sleep improved, her hearing improved and she grew a new found passion for singing and listening to music, her behaviour didn't seem to really be affected.
I am writing this blog to basically get thoughts out of my head and on to screen (one would have previously said paper), in hope that I can process this huge journey we are currently going through. I think it will occur over multiple posts and this may be it for the night.
Stay tuned for more of K's journey...
Comments
Post a Comment