February 2024 Makes and The Great Aussie Sewing Challenge
February 2024 Makes!
.
Week 6 - Snooze
"Sew an item relating to sleeping".
Kailey's 90's Comeback pyjama shorts - I wrote a separate blog about how these shorts came to be and the nostalgia surrounding them!
.
Week 7 - Freebies
"Sew an item using a free pattern".
A new drawstring bag for all ballet bits and bobs for Miss Kailey was in order for this weeks challenge. Kailey has started in a new ballet class and the run around with picking Rory and Frankie up from school then collecting Kailey from preschool in order to make it to ballet required more organisation. So I am hoping to make more of these drawstring bags in the future to help with keeping all extracurricular activity items in specific places. Pretty sure it's wishful thinking haha!
.
I decided to use the free instructions/pattern to make the ballet drawstring bag from the Blog tamarasjoy.com and I followed the instructions on YouTube. Four options are available in the video and for this bag I kinda used ideas from each of the tutorials. I have also made drawstring bag number 3 for Frankie in the past:
Kaileys ballet bag was not lined (compared to Frankie's bag) so it made for a quicker Sew but I did accidentally edge stitch the overlocked seam between the two panels the wrong way so the pom poms kind of poke upwards. This does look pretty cute though as the pom poms stick outwards a little more when Kailey is wearing it. I added the little bag hanging loop up the top too so the bag can be hung on our bag rack for me to quickly grab as I'm heading out the door.
I love this pattern and am looking forward to making more of these bags in the future!
.
Week 8 - Flora
"Sew an item relating to plants and flowers".
I was so inspired by another makers creation in the Aussie Sewing Challenge and HAD to make it. It was this mug carry case thing which was everything I never knew I needed. Tracking down the pattern at Spotlight was a mission. Finally bought it (along with another three patterns because I love a bargain and Spotlight was selling 4 patterns for $20), got it home, opened it and then the wrong pattern was in the pack 😑 so back to Spotlight, swap it over and FINALLY I had my mug carry case thing!
.
To fit in with the theme of the week, I selected a May Gibbs canvas I had in my stash for ages. Its the kind of fabric I have hung on to because I love the pattern so much and have been to scared to use it 😅
.
Once I convinced myself to use the pink May Gibbs fabric, the rest of the flora theme kind of flowed together. I love the end result.
.
Week 9 - Sustainable
"Sew an item you can use over and over, from recycled materials or eco-friendly fabrics".
Comments
Post a Comment