Sunshine, Sandwiches and Sleepovers

Yesterday, I decided to pack up the kids and head down to Mum and Dad's for a sleepover over the long weekend. Unfortunately, Aaron was not able to join us and was working long hours but I really wanted to get the kids away from screens and get out for a reset.

Sometimes a change of scenery is exactly what we all need, and it felt like the perfect opportunity for a mini getaway.

The drive down was surprisingly smooth. Rory and Kailey were getting along well in the back, while Frankie and I chatted away in the front. Frankie had spent time making a "biscuit tin" cake that she was incredibly proud of and couldn't wait to share with Obie. It was a butter cake loaded with all sorts of cream biscuits and looked exactly like the kind of creation that would make grandparents smile.

When we arrived, Mum and Dad greeted us warmly, as they always do. We settled in with coffee, slices of Frankie's cake, chicken sandwiches, and a leisurely catch-up on the sunny balcony. There is something special about sitting together in the sunshine, talking about nothing and everything all at once.

Later in the afternoon, Mum and Dad took the kids to a local park that happened to have a spontaneous inflatable attraction set up. It gave me the rare opportunity to stay behind and have a rest.

It's a strange feeling. I often crave rest and a break, but when the opportunity finally presents itself, the mum guilt creeps in. Part of me thinks I should be out there making memories too. Thankfully, exhaustion won the battle and I managed to sneak in a much-needed snooze.

I was eventually woken by Kailey bursting through the door absolutely beaming with excitement. She enthusiastically told me all about the obstacle courses, taking turns in giant "hamster balls," and spending the afternoon running around in the fresh air and sunshine.

The excitement soon shifted into a classic sibling disagreement when she and Rory started arguing over whose turn it was on a small bike. Frankie, ever the problem solver, chimed in with, "Why don't you talk to Obie about it? Mum is trying to rest."
Without missing a beat, Kailey replied, "But he isn't solution focussed."

The unexpected response had us all laughing.
That evening, we headed out to a local Italian restaurant for dinner. Everyone enjoyed pasta, and Frankie finally got the gnocchi she'd been excited about for days. Rory was tired and a little grumpy by that stage, while Kailey spent much of dinner reminding us all that we needed to be "reverent" in a restaurant. Yet another Kailey-ism that had us trying not to laugh.

We drew on the disposable tablecloth, clinked our drinks together, and simply enjoyed being out together.

Back at Mum and Dad's, we settled in to watch George of the Jungle while sharing a selection of lollies and chocolate. Kailey eventually fell asleep curled up against me, while Frankie and Rory remained completely engrossed in the movie.

In what can only be described as a miracle, all three kids went to sleep without argument at 8:30pm — a rare occurrence at Nanny and Obie's house. Mum, Dad and I stayed up a little longer and watched a horror movie, even though it felt far later than the clock suggested.

The next morning started slowly, despite Kailey deciding 5:30am was an appropriate wake-up time. Mum spoiled me with a coffee in bed before we FaceTimed my sister in Melbourne. It was lovely seeing the huge smiles of my niece and nephew, bundled up in coats and beanies against the cold weather. Moments like that always remind me how much I miss them.

Later, we took the kids for a walk around Avalon and stopped by the dollar shop, where they were, of course, treated to a few goodies by their generous grandparents. After listening to Kailey's current favourite song, Luck Be a Lady by Frank Sinatra, approximately five times, we found ourselves at the Water Towers lookout.

Watching the kids scramble over the rocks was equal parts fun and anxiety-inducing.

Looking out across the view brought back so many memories for me. I'd spent countless hours there as a teenager, and now here I was bringing my own children to the same place. It was one of those moments that quietly reminds you how quickly time passes.

Eventually, we headed back to Mum and Dad's for lunch. More chicken sandwiches, the last of Frankie's biscuit tin cake, and one final catch-up before it was time to pack up the car and head home.

As we drove away, I found myself appreciating something I hadn't really thought about before. The kids are older now. Packing up for a weekend away isn't the enormous undertaking it once was. There are no nappies, fewer interruptions, and less stress. It means we can be a little more spontaneous and spend more time making memories with family.

And for that, I'm incredibly grateful.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heirlooms & Toadstools: Stitching a Woodland Dream

The Turning Light: Finding Our Rhythm Again This March

A Dress Worth Every Stitch